Many of the buildings being put up today serve a greater purpose than that of providing housing. A good number are architectural masterpieces and every aspect is deliberate. For those that have balconies, this feature serves as an extension of the adjacent room. For those who love the outdoors but would rather be alone, having a balcony offers a high level of freedom. To personalize the balcony even further, it is important to install a strong barrier along the edge.
Advantages of using Frosted Glass Railing on balcony
While having a view of the outdoors anytime you feel like is a good enough reason to install a glass barrier on your balcony, would you want your neighbors to see you every time you are there? Besides, having a balcony view of the neighborhood does not mean that you want to see what your neighbors are doing every time you are in this space. This is a definite source of discomfort for many people and hence the preference for frosted glass over clear glass. What other benefits does a homeowner get from using frosted glass to cover the balcony?
- Controlled lighting – direct sunlight should be avoided at all costs; the heat causes skin burns and ultra violet rays could cause various types of skin ailments. For those who are fond of kitchen gardens, it is necessary that your herbs and plants receive a controlled amount of light.
- Aesthetics – glass adds a sense of elegance and sophistication wherever it is used. On one hand, it blends into any décor scheme, and on the other hand, its presence livens up even the simplest of spaces.
- Unobstructed scenery – this is an advantage for those who live in areas where the balcony overlooks, gardens, forests, parks and waterfronts. Frosted glass panels around the balcony allow you a clear view of the outside world when the need arises.
- Safety – apart from the fact that the glass used for balcony railings is usually laminated and toughened for extra strength, it lacks footholds over which children and pets can climb over. The smooth surfaces of the glass also prevent direct movements of projectiles.
- Climate resistant – glass does not undergo extreme structural changes in extreme weather. This means that it remains and functions in the same way whether it is hot or cold.
Should it be frameless or framed?
After you have settled glass as the material of choice for your balcony enclosure, it is now time to choose between framed and frameless glass.
Framed railing is quite popular because of the safety and luxury aspects it provides. In relation to frameless railings, the framed alternative is much more costly. While the framed version uses standard tempered glass for a panel, the frameless type uses custom thick glass, which costs a lot more. Aluminum has so far attracted a much larger following because it is easy to maintain.
Stylish designs and patterns of Frosted glass railing
By virtue of the fact that balconies are essentially open spaces, such accessories will easily get dirty. If you still insist on curtains or other tangible widow covers, how about applying a coat of vinyl paint in desired patterns and colors.
Frosted glass is available as acid etched glass, sandblasted glass, and ceramic frit silk-screened glass.
Frosted Glass is stronger than clear glass
Unlike regular glass which is used on windows, balcony glass railings have been laminated for extra strength and support. Available in widths of up to 12mm, the glass has been treated for impact, heat and climate change resistance. The choice between frosted and clear is made by the homeowner but both have been treated for enhanced strength. When purchasing balcony glass, it is important to mention to the supplier the use it is intended for. Most glass shops stock a wide range of glass types and the best way to get value for money is to specify the intended function.
Cleaning and maintenance tips
Before you get any feature installed in your house, it is important to ensure that you can keep up with its care and maintenance routine. One of the easiest materials to clean around and outside the house is glass. After you have removed all the dirt by way of rubbing, a dry but soft cloth will achieve a high level of polishing. Obviously, this takes a few minutes which you can easily incorporate into the daily cleaning chores.
If you live or operate your business from a premise that has a balcony feature, choosing glass as the material from which the railings will be made from is an excellent choice. It is possible to have the glass material customized to suit your style.